Friday, November 7, 2014

The Under Paid Maid


Some times I feel like a maid!!!! We as mothers fulfill all and more of what a maid does. In fact I could give a whole list of jobs we fulfill without earning a single dollar for them! Personal chef, nurse, teacher, chauffeur, therapist, photographer, event coordinator, counselor, party planner, cheerleader, hairdresser......laundry, dishes, diapers, and homework.....the list could go on for days as you know! It's a 24/7 job that gets no time off for good behavior and many times all of our hard work goes unnoticed! So many times I have wondered how anyone would even survive without me here to wipe the jelly off their faces or fill the hot water bottle when they have a stomach ache or tell them where their library book disappeared to. Oh and let's not for forget the socks and dirty shoes!!! Socks and shoes are usually left for me as a daily reminder of how much I am "loved and needed". If it weren't for a daily dose of "brake it up", I'm certain my children might kill each other! Somehow all these things leave me feeling worn down and I know if I think about it long enough, I am ready to run far far away without leaving a forwarding address! How is it possible for one person to keep it up day after day, night after night??? And then I finally came to the realization that even though I am worn down a lot of the time and feel like there is never a moment to breath, I LOVE MY JOB! Of course not everything! Diapers, arguing, and broken bones are definitely not on the list of things "I can't live without", but I really do LOVE what I do. See, I don't HAVE to do any of the the things I do! I could just sit back and watch as the house eventually blows up and someone uncovers us all from a mass of dirty laundry. I could pretend that my children will become model citizens without having guidance and the love of a mother.... I could just say forget it and walk away! But oh, how I would miss those faces! And can you imagine not having those dirty socks and shoes to pick up? I would miss my morning hairy monster stinky breath kisses, I would miss when my husband pulls me in and whispers how much he loves me and thinks I'm his sexy queen (even when I've been up all night with the baby and look like a train wreck), I would miss hearing "mommy I love you so much", "mommy kiss my boo-boo", or even do you know where my "such n such" is? I would miss the excitement, the frustration, the heartache, the happiness.....I would miss MY LIFE!  What else is there??? Yes I know we all have personal goals, hobbies, and maybe jobs out side the home, but chances are when we are old and grey we won't be searching through pictures to remember our own accomplishments or deadlines we met, but rather those of our children and family. Pictures of a tooth lost, first steps, science awards, milestone birthdays and anniversaries, yearly family photos, smiles and laughter are all things I know I don't ever want to live without! These are the things people long for and cherish forever! Every challenging day can bring new found wisdom as a mother, wife, and woman, if we only let it. We can either let the stress control us and those around us or learn and grow even through the storm. Am I really under paid??? Or can any amount of money ever measure the fullness of my heart??? Hopefully my new found realization will enlighten or encourage you or maybe you already know how much you are truly needed and loved! Either way keep going and know you are SO important and awesome and this world and your world at home, can't live without YOU!





No comments:

Post a Comment